The draw for the 2020 Players Championship Finals has been confirmed, with Michael van Gerwen kicking off his title defence…
The draw for the 2020 Players Championship Finals has been confirmed, with Michael van Gerwen kicking off his title defence against Darius Labanauskas.
This year’s Players Championship Finals will be held behind closed doors at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry from November 27-29.
The field is comprised of the top 64 players from the Players Championship Order of Merit after the 23 Players Championship events held throughout the year.
Matches will be held across two stages simultaneously, with seedings based on finishing positions on the Players Championship Finals Order of Merit.
Michael van Gerwen is the reigning and five-time champion, having defeated Gerwyn Price 11-9 in last year’s final in Minehead.
The world number one is seeded number three and will start out against Lithuanian number one Darius Labanauskas.
World Grand Prix champion Price has drawn Scotland’s John Henderson, while World Champion Peter Wright – the number one seed – will face Ryan Meikle.
Meikle comes into the event as the 64th seed to replace Jeff Smith – who finished 33rd on the Players Championship Order of Merit but has withdrawn from the tournament and will return from Canada for next month’s World Championship.
World Matchplay champion Dimitri Van den Bergh plays Ryan Searle, while Premier League champion Glen Durrant takes on Wolverhampton veteran Wayne Jones.
Gary Anderson, the 2014 champion, meets former World Youth Champion Keegan Brown, while 2018 champion Daryl Gurney has drawn Newcastle’s emerging talent Callan Rydz.
Fourth seed Nathan Aspinall has drawn former Grand Slam champion Scott Waites for their opening tie, while Michael Smith comes up against Croatia’s Boris Krcmar.
Former finalist Adrian Lewis will play top Australian Simon Whitlock in a tasty contest, while fifth seed Krzysztof Ratajski plays Czech Republic debutant Karel Sedlacek and number six seed James Wade meets Niels Zonneveld.
German Championship winner Devon Petersen will take on 2019 World Youth Champion Luke Humphries in another stand-out tie.
The full schedule of play and stage allocation will be confirmed in due course.
Players Championship Finals 2020 Draw
(1) Peter Wright v (64) Ryan Meikle
(32) Adrian Lewis v (33) Simon Whitlock
(16) Ryan Searle v (49) Dimitri Van den Bergh
(17) Daryl Gurney v (48) Callan Rydz
(8) Michael Smith v (57) Boris Krcmar
(25) Gary Anderson v (40) Keegan Brown
(9) Jose De Sousa v (56) Mike De Decker
(24) Vincent van der Voort v (41) Derk Telnekes
(4) Nathan Aspinall v (61) Scott Waites
(29) Ross Smith v (36) Kim Huybrechts
(13) Damon Heta v (52) Maik Kuivenhoven
(20) Stephen Bunting v (45) Ryan Murray
(5) Krzysztof Ratajski v (60) Karel Sedlacek
(28) Madars Razma v (37) Chris Dobey
(12) Danny Noppert v (53) Steve Beaton
(21) Dave Chisnall v (44) Mervyn King
(2) Gerwyn Price v (63) John Henderson
(31) Ricky Evans v (34) Jamie Hughes
(15) Jermaine Wattimena v (50) Steve Lennon
(18) Devon Petersen v (47) Luke Humphries
(7) Ian White v (58) William Borland
(26) Gabriel Clemens v (39) Martijn Kleermaker
(10) Joe Cullen v (55) Adam Hunt
(23) Rob Cross v (42) Jason Lowe
(3) Michael van Gerwen v (62) Darius Labanauskas
(30) Jonny Clayton v (35) Mickey Mansell
(14) Glen Durrant v (51) Wayne Jones
(19) Mensur Suljovic v (46) Jeffrey de Zwaan
(6) James Wade v (59) Niels Zonneveld
(27) Dirk van Duijvenbode v (38) William O’Connor
(11) Brendan Dolan v (54) Luke Woodhouse
(22) Ryan Joyce v (43) Andy Boulton