The draw for the 2022/23 PDC World Darts Championship has been confirmed, with Peter Wright to begin his title defence…
The draw for the 2022/23 PDC World Darts Championship has been confirmed, with Peter Wright to begin his title defence against either Mickey Mansell or Ben Robb at Alexandra Palace.
The sport’s show-piece event features 96 players competing for the Sid Waddell Trophy and £2.5 million prize fund from December 15 to January 3.
Wright claimed his second world title at Ally Pally in January, producing an inspired comeback to deny Michael Smith and repeat his 2020 heroics.
The number two seed will start out against either Northern Ireland’s Mansell or New Zealand’s number one Robb in the Second Round.
The top 32 players from the PDC Order of Merit are seeded through to round two, while the opening round will see the ProTour Order of Merit Qualifiers up against the Qualifiers & International Representatives.
Top seed Gerwyn Price will face the winner of the first round tie between Luke Woodhouse and Vladyslav Omelchenko – who is making history as the first Ukrainian player to feature at the World Championship.
Three-time champion Michael van Gerwen could begin his bid for a fourth Sid Waddell Trophy with an all-Dutch tie against Niels Zonneveld, who will play Welsh youngster Lewy Williams in Round One.
Newly crowned Grand Slam champion Michael Smith will face a tough test against a resurgent Jermaine Wattimena or Northern Irish debutant Nathan Rafferty.
Beau Greaves – the WDF World Champion and youngest woman to compete in the PDC World Championship – will face William O’Connor on her Alexandra Palace debut for the right to meet Germany’s number one Gabriel Clemens.
Fallon Sherrock will take on Ricky Evans, as she returns to the stage where she became the first woman to beat a man at a World Championship three years ago, and the winner of that tie will meet Masters champion Joe Cullen.
Four-time Women’s World Champion Lisa Ashton has been pitted against Suffolk star Ryan Meikle in her opener, and the winner will progress to a second round showdown against five-time World Champion Raymond van Barneveld.
Former World Champion Rob Cross, runner-up in last weekend’s Players Championship Finals, faces a difficult assignment against either debutant Scott Williams or Tour Card Holder Qualifier Ryan Joyce.
Two-time World Champion Gary Anderson will play Madars Razma or Prakash Jiwa for a place in round three, while seventh seed Jonny Clayton meets Danny van Trijp or Steve Beaton, who is making a record 32nd consecutive World Championship appearance.
Elsewhere, Australia’s World Cup winner Damon Heta could face two-time World Champion Adrian Lewis, if the Stoke star comes through his first round tie against Sweden’s Daniel Larsson.
Meanwhile, Heta’s World Cup partner Simon Whitlock will play PDC Asian Championship winner Christian Perez for the right to take on Jose de Sousa in a blockbuster second round tussle.
Fifth seed Luke Humphries kicks off his campaign against either Keegan Brown or Florian Hempel, while World Youth Champion Josh Rock plays Spain’s Jose Justicia, with last year’s quarter-finalist Callan Rydz awaiting the winner.
The schedule of play will be confirmed in due course.
18+ | Geo Restrictions Apply | Be Gamble Aware
World Darts Championship 2022/23 Draw
(1) Gerwyn Price v Luke Woodhouse/Vladyslav Omelchenko
(32) Raymond van Barneveld v Ryan Meikle/Lisa Ashton
(16) Ryan Searle v Adam Gawlas/Richie Burnett
(17) Jose de Sousa v Simon Whitlock/Christian Perez
(8) James Wade v Jim Williams/Sebastian Bialecki
(25) Gabriel Clemens v William O’Connor/Beau Greaves
(9) Danny Noppert v Ritchie Edhouse/David Cameron
(24) Daryl Gurney v Alan Soutar/Mal Cuming
(4) Michael Smith v Jermaine Wattimena/Nathan Rafferty
(29) Martin Schindler v Martin Lukeman/Nobuhiro Yamamoto
(13) Joe Cullen v Ricky/Evans/Fallon Sherrock
(20) Damon Heta v Adrian Lewis/Daniel Larsson
(5) Luke Humphries v Keegan Brown/Florian Hempel
(28) Vincent van der Voort v Cameron Menzies/Diogo Portela
(12) Dave Chisnall v Andrew Gilding/Robert Owen
(21) Stephen Bunting v Geert Nentjes/Leonard Gates
(2) Peter Wright v Mickey Mansell/Ben Robb
(31) Kim Huybrechts v Keane Barry/Grant Sampson
(15) Dimitri Van den Bergh v Rowby-John Rodriguez/Lourence Ilagan
(18) Krzysztof Ratajski v Danny Jansen/Paolo Nebrida
(7) Jonny Clayton v Steve Beaton/Danny van Trijp
(26) Brendan Dolan v Jamie Hughes/Jimmy Hendriks
(10) Nathan Aspinall v Boris Krcmar/Toru Suzuki
(23) Callan Rydz v Josh Rock/Jose Justicia
(3) Michael van Gerwen v Niels Zonneveld/Lewy Williams
(30) Mensur Suljovic v Mike De Decker/Jeff Smith
(14) Dirk van Duijvenbode v Karel Sedlacek/Raymond Smith
(19) Ross Smith v John O’Shea/Darius Labanauskas
(6) Rob Cross v Scott Williams/Ryan Joyce
(27) Mervyn King v Matt Campbell/Danny Baggish
(11) Gary Anderson v Madars Razma/Prakash Jiwa
(22) Chris Dobey v Martijn Kleermaker/Xicheng Han
LATEST DARTS FREE BET OFFERS (18+ | T&Cs apply | Be Gamble Aware)