Left arrow

Steve Brown opens up on “emotional” Qualifying School success

Right arrow

“I’ve put a lot of people through hell” – Corey Cadby lifts the lid on his darkest hour as he plots darts comeback

Michael Smith “hurt” by World Series of Darts omission

Jamie Shaw in Darts Interviews 25 Feb 2020
Smith will miss out on the World Series visits to New York and Copenhagen (Photo by Lawrence Lustig/PDC)

Michael Smith admits his omission from multiple World Series events “hurts” and has vowed to use it as motivation for the remainder of the season.

Smith, the world number five, has been left out of the line-ups for both the U.S Darts Masters and Nordic Darts Masters in June.

World Championship and World Matchplay runner-up in 2019, Smith was also a beaten finalist in January’s Masters, but is not among the field of PDC representatives heading to New York and Copenhagen.

The first two World Series events of the season feature eight PDC stars and eight regional hopefuls battling it out in the two-day non-ranked tournaments.

Smith was runner-up in last year’s U.S Masters in Las Vegas, though that proved his only World Series appearance prior to the World Series Finals in November.

The St Helens ace admits he is perplexed at being left out of the first two events and does not expect to be selected for the tour of Australia and New Zealand in August.

“Me and the Mrs had things planned for where we could go in New York,” Smith told Live Darts.

“I didn’t get picked for that so that was a big kick in the you know what.

“Denmark was the same thing. I’ve been there a few times, it’s a nice place but it’s not for me.

“Germany [German Masters], I know it hasn’t been released, but I know I’m not getting in because [Gabriel] Clemens got to the final last year, he’s got to be in it so I know I’m not getting in.

“The only thing I’ve got to look forward to is Australia, but if I got in to the Australian events I’d have to take my kids and my Mrs for the three weeks, that’s going to be a pain in the backside!”

The PDC announced on Monday that it will head to Wollongong and Townsville in Australia for the first time in August, with the New Zealand Masters sandwiched between the two events.

The PDC representatives for the triple-header Down Under are yet to be confirmed, but after missing out last year, ‘Bully Boy’ says he does not hold much hope of selection but has vowed to ensure his ranking is high enough that he cannot be overlooked in future.

“I’m not fussed if I don’t get in them, it does hurt because I’ve been overlooked by people that, in my mind, are not even better than me,” he added.

“I knew when I play in TV events that I can turn up whenever I want.

“I do play sloppy games but I do still win them and then I’ll turn up the game after.

“Barry [Hearn] always says it’s going to earn people money but it’s not, it’s costing me a lot of money not playing in them.

“Things happen for a reason and I’ve got to step up now and make sure I start this year and finish this year strongly and make sure I’m in the top four and guaranteed to be in everything for next year.”