The winner of the 2020 PDC Summer Series Order of Merit will be rewarded with a place in this year’s…
The winner of the 2020 PDC Summer Series Order of Merit will be rewarded with a place in this year’s Grand Slam of Darts.
PDC competition has been suspended since mid-March due to the covid-19 pandemic but is set to resume in July with a series of behind closed doors events in Milton Keynes.
It has been confirmed that next month’s five events at the Marshall Arena will count towards the PDC Order of Merit, the ProTour Order of Merit and the Summer Series Order of Merit.
The PDC Summer Series will comprise the final five tournaments to count towards qualification for the Betfred World Matchplay, which will take place from July 18-26.
The host venue for the World Matchplay and whether it is to be open to the public or held behind closed doors is yet to be confirmed.
The Summer Series, from July 8-12, will see the sport’s stars return to competition in-person with five one-day Players Championship events.
The overall leader of the Summer Series Order of Merit, based on prize money won across the five events, will be awarded a place in the 2020 Grand Slam of Darts.
Following discussions with the PDPA, the following has been confirmed in relation to rankings:
- Prize money which would naturally have lapsed from the PDC Order of Merit and ProTour Order of Merit between March 16 and July 8 will be removed ahead of the start of the Summer Series.
- The seedings for Summer Series Day One (PC9) will be based on the ProTour Order of Merit at July 8, with 52 weeks of prize money included.
- The seedings for Summer Series Days Two-Five will be based on that day’s ProTour Order of Merit, with previous days’ prize money included.
- Qualification for the World Matchplay will be confirmed following Summer Series Day Five, with the cut-off date amended from the original date (Sunday July 5) to Sunday July 12. This will be based on 104 weeks’ prize money for 16 qualifiers from the PDC Order of Merit and 52 weeks’ prize money for 16 qualifiers from the ProTour Order of Merit.
- A place in the 2020 Grand Slam will be awarded to the winner of the Summer Series Order of Merit.
PDC Chief Executive Matt Porter said: “There is understandably a lot of anticipation for players ahead of the PDC Summer Series and confirmation of the situation around rankings will give them all clarity as they prepare to return to action.
“We thank the PDPA for their constructive support during recent months as they represented the interests of all their members during an unprecedented time.”