Kyle Anderson has resigned his PDC Tour Card and will remain in Australia, ending his six-year stint on the professional circuit.
Anderson has been based back in Queensland since returning from the UK last March, recovering from Covid-19.
The 33-year-old had dropped to 60th in the PDC Order of Merit as a result of his absence from competitive action, and with his second child due to be born later this year, has opted to withdraw from the tour.
“After playing in today’s DPA event and with the ongoing pandemic, I had another long chat with my management with the outcome being to relinquish my Tour Card with immediate effect,” said Anderson.
“I have had a great seven years in the PDC but I have a new child on the way next month, so it’s only fair that I give my Tour Card up so that another rising star can try to achieve their dream.
“I would like to thank the PDC for the amazing opportunity that I had been given, and I will hopefully be seeing everyone again in the World Series in Australia.”
Anderson’s manager Mark Elkin added: “Kyle has sacrificed so much over the last seven years, only seeing his family two or three times a year, and this finally took its toll on him.
“We have had numerous talks about his Tour Card and he was determined to come back.
“I think today’s decision has just taken a huge weight off his shoulders, he has our blessing and will always be part of our team. We will be keeping a close eye on him on the DPA Tour.”
Anderson’s withdrawal means that Dutchman Maik Kuivenhoven will retain his Tour Card for 2021 as the highest-ranked player to drop off the circuit following the World Championship.
Anderson came through Qualifying School in 2014, becoming the PDC’s first Aboriginal Australian professional, and secured his first ranking title on the ProTour in 2017
His first televised title came at the Auckland Darts Masters that same year as he defeated fellow Aussie Corey Cadby 11-10 in the final.
The first of The Original’s two televised nine-darters famously came at the 2013/14 World Championship at Alexandra Palace, before striking perfection again in the Semi-Finals of the 2017 European Championship.
Anderson becomes the second player to relinquish their Tour Card ahead of the new season, joining Harry Ward.
Kyle Anderson has tested positive for Covid-19 after recently returning home to Australia.
Anderson travelled home from the UK ten days ago alongside his close friend and fellow PDC professional Damon Heta in order to spend time with family during the enforced break in competition.
A statement from Anderson’s management – the Sportsman Management Company – revealed the 32-year-old has contracted Coronavirus and is self-isolating in a farm house.
His manager Mac Elkin said: “I have just had a FaceTime call off Kyle telling me he tested positive for Covid-19, he is in good spirits but is now back in isolation on his own in a farm house in Mount Morgan.
“Tara and Charles both tested negative and are both back in the family home. I will be having regular calls with Kyle so will keep everybody updated.
“It goes without saying that we all wish him a speedy recovery but it also stresses the need to follow the guidelines set out by the government, we need to beat this disease together as one.”
The world number 45 skipped the opening four Players Championship events of the season in favour of an extended spell in his homeland following the end of last season.
He returned to action on February 22 and featured in the UK Open and a further ProTour weekend before making the decision to fly back to Perth.
Permitted social gatherings in Australia have been reduced from ten to two people in bid to slow the spread of Coronavirus.
Australians are also being urged to stay at home with a limited number of exceptions.
Live Darts would like to wish Kyle all the best for his recovery.
It’s come to this… went in for the corona check up! It’s the waiting game now… don’t think you aren’t gonna get it ? it’s something different… pic.twitter.com/Im5IXRR1zx
— Kyle Anderson (@KyleDarts) March 26, 2020
Kyle Anderson has revealed he contemplated ending his darts career earlier this year after struggling to cope with being away from his family in Australia.
Anderson relocated to the UK in 2014 after securing a PDC Tour Card at Qualifying School and has remained there since, leaving his wife and son behind in Perth.
The 32-year-old has made several visits back to his homeland between tournaments, while also competing in the World Series on home soil, but admits the emotional toll has left him considering his future in the sport, having even distributed his CV.
In a raw interview following his First Round comeback win over Xiaochen Zong at the William Hill World Championship, Anderson opened up on his emotional turmoil and the impact the separation has had on his mental health.
“It’s a struggle for me lately because I want to be home, but at the same time this is my profession, this is my job,” said Anderson.
“When it doesn’t work out, the demons come forward, like Raymond [Van Barneveld] said the other day, when the demons show themselves it’s quite hard not to see them every time you go to the board.
“At 2-0 down [versus Zong] I was thinking of the next flight home, I’ll sit at the back in the cargo if I had to, just get me home.
“I’ve contemplated going home a couple of times, this game has caught up with me being away from home, and the heartfelt emotion I have from inside, trying to be a man and not letting everyone see your emotion, it’s starting to come forward and control everything I do.
“Three weeks is the longest I’ve had at home barring the visa incident, which was a couple of months.
“I even spoke to a mate and put a CV out.
“I’ve got no money, no one to fall back on if my car breaks down, so I can’t get picked up, it’s all of the things you don’t think about when you do it.
“In October when I was coming home, I flew from Rockhampton to Brisbane, walked through customs and went and sat at the gate and text Mac [manager] and said ‘If I wasn’t through customs I’d be handing my resignation in.
“I just wanted to be home, it’s hard.”
Anderson has also been forced to contend with a number of health problems of late, including eyesight issues and being diagnosed with diabetes.
He has consequently struggled for consistency on the oche this season, dropping out of the world’s top 32 after failing to qualify for a number of televised majors and failing to progress beyond the Last 16 stage of a ranked tournament since February.
Anderson hopes the arrival of his childhood friend Damon Heta to the UK in January will help restore some familiarity and re-ignite his career.
He added: “With Damon [Heta] coming across, that might change because I’ve asked him to come stay near me so we can keep in touch because we were best friends at school.
“We’ve already talked about being close together so it will feel like home.
“No one on this tour has done what I’ve done so no one understands what I’m going through.
“All respect for Luke Humphries with his anxiety, I gave him a shoulder to lean on, but what Luke went through has got nothing on what I went through.
“I just keep it to myself because I’ve been brought up that way not to talk about things like that, not that it makes you feel weak but your problems are your problems, not someone else’s.
“There’s always hope, I can’t tell the future but if I could, I’d go back and forth.
“If I won the Worlds I’d just go home and catch up on time. I’m playing catch up not just with my wife but with my son.”