Peter Wright has stoked the fire with Michael van Gerwen ahead the new darts season by admitting he is “glad”…
Peter Wright has stoked the fire with Michael van Gerwen ahead the new darts season by admitting he is “glad” the Dutchman has lost his world number one spot.
Van Gerwen saw his seven-year reign at the top of the PDC Order of Merit brought to an end by Gerwyn Price – who leapfrogged the Dutch star after being crowned World Champion on January 3.
Price succeeded Wright as World Champion and became only the tenth different world number one in PDC history, having only secured a Tour Card at Qualifying School in 2014.
Wright dropped a place to world number three after his Last 32 defeat to Gabriel Clemens at Alexandra Palace and will start the new season by attempting to successfully defend The Ladbrokes Masters title in Milton Keynes.
Wright became embroiled in a war of words with Van Gerwen at the backend of last year and has sent out another message to the three-time World Champion ahead of the season opener.
“I’m looking forward to this year, especially after some of the comments MVG has made about me,” Wright told Ladbrokes.
“I’m glad he’s number two so now I get to play him in the Semi-Finals to knock him out before he gets to a final!
“Michael’s worked really hard to be world number one and he’s won everything you can possibly win in darts.
“To take over from Phil [Taylor] he’s done an amazing job, especially so at such a young age.
“But I think the standard Michael’s been setting, everyone’s coming up to now.
“They’re seeing all the titles that Phil and Michael have won and seen what that extra bit of practice and belief can do, that maybe you can do it.
“I’ve shown it can be done, Gezzy’s shown it too. I’ve got a bit fire in my belly for this year.”
Van Gerwen won The Masters title on five consecutive occasions between 2015 and 2019 before seeing his unbeaten run ended by Jonny Clayton in Round One 12 months ago.
Wright and Van Gerwen are on a collision course for a potential Semi-Final clash on Sunday, with the Ladbrokes Masters field having been expanded from 16 to 24 players this year.
Snakebite says he has taken time out since his early exit at Ally Pally and admits the uncertain schedule has affected his practice regime.
He added: “I’ve just been doing bits and bobs that have been building up around the house. Taking the tree down, putting the decorations away – that took about a week I think!
“It’s difficult because obviously we have The Masters this week but after that we haven’t got tournaments lined up for a few weeks.
“So I could have been practising as soon as I lost in the worlds up until now and wasted all my good darts. You’ve got to practice but I don’t want to overdo it.”